Monday, April 12, 2010

THE ENGLISH TEACHER--- by R.K.Narayan


Once, I saw a book by R.K.Narayan and I picked it up to read but unfortunately I could manage only a page, which I picked randomly and I liked the conversation present in the page. Sad part of the story was that, I forgot the name of the novel. I knew it was related to English, but couldn't get the title. Recently, a new book shop was opened and I happened to see the two works of R.K.Narayan, BACHELOR OF ARTS and THE ENGLISH TEACHER and both of them were related to English. I fell in confusion and decided to read both and bought them.
Former one, I finished earlier and also posted the review. THE ENGLISH TEACHER, I finished it today only.
The book is about a story of the English teacher, who taught, B.A classes. The story begins with a conversation about, correct way spelling English word. Then it moves to the lonely life of a married man and how he spends it in his hostel life until his wife and daughter arrive. The arrival of his wife and daughter, transforms him to the possessive creature. He starts to enjoy his life until one day, tragedy strikes him and from there, the remaining story is how he could cope with the tragedy and ends with some what surrealistically. 
The beauty of this book is the CHARACTERS and their CHARACTERIZATIONS. You can really feel the typical Indian characters and their behaviours, described so naturally that, it appears as if they are one among us. The emotions are speechless and I felt very sorry for the protagonist at one point of the novel. 
This book is supposed to be the kind of his autobiography.  
If this book is read with utmost involvement, then I think, one can read this book only once and lay man won't venture to give it a second reading. The tragedy is described in such a manner that, it needs bit of courage to read it for the second time.

                                                                           KARUMANCHI VISWANATHA SARMA
                                                                                             24rd MARCH, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment